Sunday, August 25, 2013

First week of school

The first week of school officially ended on Friday at 3:10pm. It was a crazy week with new students, returning students, and new challenges. I have to say though, I am happy, very happy with the choice I made to stay in the computer lab. At the end of last school year I struggled with whether or not I wanted to be in a "regular" classroom or remain in the lab. After seeing so many familiar faces and how those students grew over the summer the decision to stay was the right one. As a fellow teacher in the fifth grade said to me "I was bummed when we heard you were staying in the lab and not applying for the open fifth grade position but then when I thought about how you would be affecting all the students instead of one group, I thought the school will benefit." I wanted to hug her for her faith in my abilities to affect the students but also for helping me put into words what I had been feeling those first couple days of school. As a "regular classroom teacher you have a group of students that you become familiar with for one year, when that year is over you see them in the hallways but your relationship has faded with the beginning of summer. As a "specials" teacher you get to see those students year after year until they leave the school. You get to watch a student grow from Kindergarten to fifth grade (maybe sixth, depending on the school). Your relationship is a six year adventure, learning who they are, seeing glimpses of who they will become, and watching them grow.
On another note the first week for "specials" teachers in an elementary school is much like one for teachers in the middle school or high school level. Explain and review expectations and rules to each class for several days in a row for each new period until a repeat in the rotation occurs. The first day of school happens several days in a row instead of a one shot deal.  I know there are necessary evils and rules to be reviewed but their has to be another way. This year I had repeat students tell me what the rules were, and what my expectations were. When they touched on something I had altered or the school had altered a little I stepped in and explained the new process but as we know students don't learn as much if we stand in front of them and talk talk talk, they learn more when they are a part of the process. Two goals are met, students are part of the process, talking and sharing the first day(s) of school, and I feel like I am talking with them instead of at them.

No comments:

Post a Comment